Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Selling on Craigslist

Craigslist.org.,  the mecca of Internet garage sales.  Who doesn't love to surf the categories looking for great deals and good laughs.  I personally like to search for items being sold in my geographical area and cell phones.  I have made some sweet purchases on Craigslist and I have sold items as well.  Craigslist can be the perfect venue to marry a buyer and seller.  But can you make consistent income by selling on Craigslist? 

We have all heard about people who sell on EBay and Craigslist and have made enough to quit their day job.  Are these stories true or just an urban legend?  I think they are probably a bit of both.  Like that person who is a professional garage sale host.  Ever town has one, they send their partner out to scour all the garage sales while they host a sale at their house.  I just think if it were that easy everyone would be doing it. 

My first issue is that most people who actually sell their goods on Craigslist sell them because they are priced to sell.  They are a DEAL.  That is why you email and call and hope you get the callback.  With that said, if you are pricing things to sell quick, then you are not making a large profit.  So the theory of buying items and reselling them on Craigslist does not really hold water for me. 

The other issue I have with this way of generating income on a consistent basis is that if you are offering a large variety of items you would have to let potential buyers come to your house.  I don't recommend anyone ever doing this.  You have no idea who this person might be. 

While I don't believe there are stay home moms making thousands reselling items on these sites; I do agree that they are great to get rid of stuff and make a little extra cash.  If you have something just sitting around and collecting dust why not make a buck selling it?  You will get more than if you went to a pawn shop and the other party is getting a deal (assuming you are pricing to sell and not make large profits). 

So, if you need a few extra bucks go clean out that garage or basement and start listing.  Just always be safe and meet in a public place.  It is also a good idea to take another adult along with you to the meeting.